Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Working The Magic to Make it Happen: John Sazaklis' Super-Pets Appearance

Rob and John with some young superhero fans
Yesterday we blogged about our friend John Sazaklis' appearance with his Super Pets books at the Annapolis Book Festival. Now, you'll read how being Super-persistent pays off.
   I'm (Rob) a big comic book reader and collector. That's how we got to know John who writes superhero and superpets books for young readers at Random House in NYC.
John and Lexi of Third Eye
  I love super pets, particularly Superman's dog Krypto, and Batman's dog, Ace the Bathound, and I have a book that collects some of John's stories. So, when I visited Third Eye Comics in Annapolis one Wednesday night in the fall of 2013, I told Steve and Trish (the owner/managers) about John and asked if they'd be interested in having him down for an event -either in-store signing or something else.
Lexi, John and Matt of Third Eye doing the Superman pose!
   Steve was interested but it's important to find the appropriate venue. Of course, every week I'd get my comics and check with Steve. I'm sure I was a pest, but he's a busy guy, and has guests in the comic shop almost every weekend, and he didn't mind the reminders.
  In January 2014, Steve told me that the Annapolis Book Festival held in a private school and with a huge focus on kids, would be the best place for John's appearance. So, we worked toward that. I put Steve and John in touch with each other and it happened.
  It started with an idea in September, and became a reality in April. SO, never give up on your ideas.
   What's really great is that John SOLD OUT of all of his books that Third Eye Comics ordered !

  THIRD EYE COMICS - THE comics shop. If you want comics, graphic novels. toys or related stuff, Third Eye is a HUGE comics shop that has everything (I would love the 3 foot statue of Superman they're selling , but Tom and I have no place to put it. LOL).   Go to their website or facebook page: http://www.thirdeyecomics.com/.
  Steve and Trish and crew put out a weekly rundown of what's coming out, have appearances of artists and writers, game weekends, and so much more. Whether you want to read about the Walking Dead, Captain America, Superman, or independent comics, they've got it all.

NEXT: MEET PHIL CHO

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy