Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rob's Sinus Surgery Day!

Today's the day I (Rob) get a "Septoplasty." What's that? It's to correct my nose's deviated septum.
     A "deviated septum" occurs when the septum is severely shifted away from the midline. The most common symptom from a badly deviated or crooked septum is difficulty breathing through the nose. - I haven't been able to breathe out of the right side of my nose since I was a teenager!
     In some cases the crooked septum can interfere with the drainage of the sinuses, resulting in repeated sinus infections, which I've had. Septoplasty is the preferred surgical treatment to correct a deviated septum.
   HOW DID IT HAPPEN? - Hockey. I think it was the last time I ever played hockey.

.
A hockey puck changed everything
I was about 15 years old when I was playing a hockey in my parents' driveway with my two brothers. My older brother hit a "slapshot" and the hockeypuck smacked me squarely on the nose. Of course I remember it bleeding all over the place.
  AFTER EFFECTS? - After the accident I lost most of my sense of smell and couldn't breathe out of the right side of my nose. That was 36 years ago! So Tom always asks if I can smell candles, pine trees, dog poots (farts) or anything, and for the most part, I can't - I usually get a faint whiff of something if at all. So, the doc said this should help correct that. Having this also made me prone to a lot of sinus infections, too.
  THE PROCEDURE - It's actual surgery, and they'll be using a laser, so I'm told- to cut holes in the cartilage that makes up your septum. They'll put me under for it, and I haven't had a surgery since I was about 5, when I had my tonsils out. Hey! Maybe they'll pull the skin on my face tight and remove my "smile lines!"


Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy