Thursday, April 17, 2014

Ouch! Franklin's Painful Trouble

Anyone who says having dogs isn't like having kids doesn't likely have a dog. Kids are kids, and our 10 year old Dachshund Franklin got into trouble and pain yesterday.
Franklin recovering from losing a nail
  In the mornings I let the 3 kids outside to do their business at 4:45 a.m. then they come in for breakfast with Tom. Yesterday morning I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when they came in and ate.  After Tom left for work I noticed that there was a stain on one of their blankets where Franklin was laying and he was licking his foot. That's when I realized that one of his entire toenails had come off outside!
  Of course, there was blood, so I needed to clean that up. It was a bit of a struggle to put hydrogen peroxide on his foot because it hurt so much. I gently wiped it with a towel, then soaked his paw for 10 minutes in epsom salts. After drying it, I applied triple antibiotic ointment and bandaged the area, topping off his foot with a sock (and velcro around his leg so he  can't tear it off to get to the bandage).
  So, he gets his foot bathed and cleaned, re-medicated and bandaged daily. He's also on pain meds and recovering this week.  Kids!!

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy