Sunday, March 29, 2009

Our Friend Beverlee Passed Away

(PHOTO: Beverlee on her 85th birthday with a hat and Dunkin' Donuts coffee and favorite donut)
Beverlee Askew of Baltimore passed away today, March 29th at 5pm EDT at the Future Care Nursing Home. Beverlee was 86 years old, and would have been 87 on May 21st. Rob met Beverlee about 4 1/2 years ago at his friend, Terry's house for Thanksgiving dinner.
Beverlee had just met Terry at a veterinarian's office the week before when Beverlee had to euthanize her elderly cat. She was distraught, and Terry learned she had no relatives in the state, so Terry had Beverlee over for dinner.
Bev was a sharp woman, with a great sense of humor and she was extremely worldly wise. We'd talk about politics, religion, people, family, dogs, her past, home renovations, my partner Tom, the weather, and anything else. Bev was in the Navy, and often told me about her husband Howard, who had passed when they were in their 40s. She loved Howard with all her heart, and now she's together with him.
I would go up to see Beverlee about every 2 weeks or so with Dolly (our weimaraner)to visit, and always bring Dunkin' Donuts coffee and her favorite, a vanilla cream filled donut. She loved them, so I'd always bring a half-dozen and watch her eyes light up.
She told me that her dad never showed affection or told her he loved her, but she knew it anyway. She said he was the silent type. She also told me she thought she was visited by her mother after she passed, and always listened intently when I told her about the ghosts I have encountered. She enjoyed her church and the people that went there, and her pastor. She said that everyone was so friendly, and welcoming to everyone, including gay people. She had a number of gay friends, and she was so cool about it. She was so excited when Tom and I found each other, and she said "he's the one you'll spend the rest of your life with." Of course, she's right.
Bev has one son, who decided to estrange himself from her, and he and his family moved to Michigan. She hasn't heard from, nor seen him in over a year. Her only real family is her niece Brenda and husband Gary in PA. They have done everything for Bev.
I do remember a number of times getting calls from Bev, and having to drive her to the VA Hospital in Baltimore (from wherever I was), but it didn't matter how long it took to drive there (we live 45 mins. from Baltimore). She was always grateful.
Over the last month, you know that I've been sick for about 3-4 weeks, from the flu, to upper respiratory infection to bronchitis, so I haven't been able to visit Bev since before Valentine's Day (although I've sent letters and post cards). I finally got over all that and my mom just visited for a week. Tom and I talked today about my going to visit Beverlee next Saturday, now that I'm healthier, and all events are over. I also got the records of the dogs' vaccinations, so I could bring them to her nursing home. I received the call tonight at 6:18pm EDT from Brenda, Beverlee's niece. I'm heartbroken.
I will always cherish my visits with Bev. She loved her Dunkin' Donuts and coffee. She loved seeing Tom and I, Dolly and Franklin. I loved talking with her about everything. I know that she's finally going to be at peace and reunited with her husband Howard after waiting some 45 plus years. God bless you, Beverlee. I will really miss you.
Tomorrow, I'm going to Dunkin' Donuts and get a coffee and a vanilla cream donut to have in your honor. Love, Rob
(PHOTO BELOW: Beverlee loved seeing our dog Dolly. Notice the Dunkin' Donuts coffee cup to the left in this photo from July 2008)

Beverlee's Obituary from the Baltimore Sun Newspaper:
ASKEW, Beverlee G. On Sunday, March 29, 2009, BEVERLEE G. ASKEW, 85 of Baltimore; beloved wife of the late William Howard Askew; mother of William David Askew; grandmother of four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren; sister of the late Beth Brotzman. All services are private. Contributions in Beverlee's name to be made to the First & Franklin Street Presbyterian Church, 210 W. Madison Street, Baltimore, MD, 21201. Peaceful Alternatives Funeral & Cremation Center, P.A., is in charge of arrangements. Published in the Baltimore Sun on 3/31/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy