Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Quebec Trip #9: Meet Aldo the Donkey and Holly the Goat!

Nick, Mike and Tom meet Aldo the Donkey
Today's blog is about two special animal mascots of Old Quebec City. There's a donkey and a goat who call the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity home.
  As we mentioned in yesterday's blog about the ghosts in this church, the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity is the first Anglican cathedral built outside the British Isles. It's located at 31, rue des Jardins, Québec, QC. 
Holly the goat
  The Bishop, who lives with his wife in a home next to the cathedral agreed to take in a donkey named Aldo and a goat named Holly. Their "adoption" is called the "Aldo Project." 
Holly wasn't the first goat that lived there, though. The first goat was named Alli, and she passed away in 2015. 
     According to http://www.espritvertqc.com, "The Aldo Project was the catalyst for the Green Ministries initiative, and many call it “a miracle in the heart of Old Quebec.” 
A donkey named Aldo, with Alli his small goat companion, changed neighborhood life for the better on rue des Des Jardins.  They moved into the bishop’s garden beside the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in late autumn, 2011, and things haven't been the same since.
Aldo the Donkey


Mike and Nick calling to Holly

Holly and Aldo had enough socializing

Aldo peeking around the corner





From the church: What's good for Aldo?

  • Please respect the privacy of the Bishop (as I live in his garden) and my animal preference for plenty of personal space. Kindly stay on the public side of the wall. 
  • I am an herbivore, which means I only eat plants.  Please do not try to feed me proteins (meat, dairy products, etc.).
  • I am fed twice per day, and receive plenty of nutrition from my feed.  If you want to offer me a snack, a SINGLE carrot, handful of lettuce or an apple are plenty. 
  • During the winter, I am cared for even more diligently. A veterinarian and local donkey breeders verifies my condition throughout the colder months, and consistently remark on how healthy and hearty I am. Should you have any questions about winter animal care, please feel free to contact Green Ministries directly
NEXT: THE HISTORIC CITY WALK BEGINS! 
 

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy