|Rob and Tom walking to the Kent House|
WHERE IS THE DUKE OF KENT HOUSE? It is located on the corner of Rue Saint-Louis and Haldimand streets in the Upper Town. It's near the Château Frontenac.
|Nick, Mike and Tom outside the Kent House|
DUKE OF KENT'S ARRIVAL - On the formation of Lower Canada, in August, 1791, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn in the U.K. arrived in Quebec City and leased Judge Mabane's house. He lived there for 3 years with his mistress, Madame de Saint Laurent, before he was transferred to Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1794.
|Duke of Kent by Sir William Beechey 1818|
FUN FACT - On June 27, 1792, Edward is credited with the first use of the term "Canadian" to mean both French and English settlers in Upper and Lower Canada. The Prince used the term in an effort to quell a riot between the two groups at a polling station in Charlesbourg, Lower Canada. He's also known as the "Father of the Canadian Crown" for his impact on the development of Canada.
|A sign we liked with a dog in sunglasses|
ONE OF OLD QUEBEC'S OLDEST HOUSES
Though altered and transformed since its original construction, the most part of its foundations and of the first floor walls date back to the vicinity of 1650, making it one of the oldest houses, if not the oldest house in Quebec City. In 1759, the Articles of Capitulation of Quebec were signed within the house. The present edifice has remained largely unchanged since 1819. It presently serves as the French Consulate.
If you want the full and very, very, very long history of who lived in the house go to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Kent_House,_Quebec
NEXT: THE URSLINE NUNS AND A CREEPY CRYPT