Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rob's Book-Writing Advice

Recently our friend Colleen asked some questions about my experience in writing my first book. I'm no expert, just a regular guy who followed-through on an idea. I thought you may find the answers helpful for your own book! Here they are:
Question One: What is required to get a book published in a situation where the author has no money?
Fundraising. Self-publishing my book required footing about $600 to a self-publisher.
I did all the edits (I had someone edit), and even created the cover and book jacket; wrote the press release; wrote the author bio, the back cover text, etc.

Question Two: Are there any age requirements for certain publishers? No.

Question Three: Where is the best place to start if I wanted to get a book published?
Write the book first. Have someone edit it.
Then check the packages at virtualbookworm.com

Question Four: What would be the average yearly income for an author that's not a best seller, but has books on the shelves? If you're lucky, $1,000-5,000 year.

Question 5: What are the first steps in getting a book published? (Talent, interesting subject matter, etc.)
It depends if you're writing fiction or non-fiction...
for non-fiction: First thing is to put together a table of contents.
Outline your chapters.
Write them and be willing to change the order.
Have someone else edit. You can't edit your own work.
Add 5-20 black and white photos if you can, to break up the text.
For Fiction: Have a plot outline and define who the characters are and their personalities. Then outline a time line of events which will become chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy