Monday, March 8, 2010

Local Libraries Discourage "Book Talks" Unless You're a Big Time Author

I contacted 2 big libraries in my area to offer to give short talks about my book, and I received the same answer: "NO."
Why? "Sorry, your book wasn't published through a major publisher," "Our vendor doesn't buy from self-publishing companies," "We like local authors but only if you have a book with a big publisher."
One local library told me I need to give them free books, then wait three months after I fill out a lot of paperwork. Then they'll let me know if they're interested.
When I was told the library's vendor can only buy books from certain entities, I explained that I have 50 copies (that I bought) and they can buy a couple through me. The answer "NO."
The BOTTOM LINE: If you're self-published, DON'T BOTHER to contact a library to see if they're interested in allowing you to talk about your book, even though you're a local author. They won't. It's all about the money, power and connections.
I'm really disappointed by the answers I received from local libraries who I THOUGHT were supposed to support local authors and encourage local people to read and write books.
There are other places that will be much more receptive and appreciative than wasting any more time on local libraries with red tape and who don't care to promote what they're supposed to be encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy