Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Emergency Dental Visit

Tuesday was not a happy day for me. The root canaled tooth with the temporary filling was aching like a hot iron. My dentist took me in for an emergency appt. at 3:40pm. I finally left at 7pm.
When I arrived I explained the pain and sensitivity of the tooth. I had been the week before, and she re-opened the temporary filling to ensure it was still clean (the temp filling had been in since November). She cleaned it out and put another temporary to ensure it was okay. Then... PAIN like crazy!! Back to yesterday. After 3 novacaine I could STILL feel pain in the tooth, then 4 and finally 5 novacaine! The dentist looked at the tooth and noticed that the hairline fracture up the side of the tooth (vertical) was likely the culprit, and you can't root canal a vertically fractured tooth, so the decision was made to pull it. It's on the left side, bottom... Because it was fractured she needed to be very careful to not break it off, so 2 hours later (and I felt it) it came out. For the 3rd hour, she added in synthetic bone in the socket and sewed a membrane over it (EEEWWWW!!!) so that I can get an implant (because it's near the front of my mouth). In addition to the trauma to my jaw and adjoining teeth (one an old root canal), the major infection found in my jawline and under the bad tooth, my TMJ popping in and out, and the stitches pulling, this has been a PAINFUL day (last night I slept 2-3 hours) even on pain meds. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy