Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pensacola Paracon Trip: "Spirit Assistance" #2: "Escape from Motel Hell"

Yesterday I mentioned that my parents' spirits influenced me to take a brochure of Pensacola as I arrived into the baggage claim area of the airport. I thought nothing of the hotels, and thought the maps may be useful and I thought nothing of it.
  I picked up the rental car, programmed the first Dunkin' Donuts into my GPS and
Lunch and the brochure from mom & dad's spirit
stopped for lunch. Then it was off to the hotel. For the sake of not bashing a place, I will leave the name out. I'll just call it the "A" Hotel.
ARRIVAL AT MOTEL HELL -   I pulled into the "hotel" and it didn't look like the picture on-line. In fact, it resembled a 1960s three floor motel. It was adjacent to a McDonalds and there was litter all over the parking lot border. The restaurant also meant loud traffic all night long, but I always bring ear plugs. Here's where it really declined.
  I walked to the "Lobby," which was a motel lobby room (not connected to the rooms, which were all only accessible from the outside. The door was locked at 1 p.m. I was stumped. I waited 10 minutes and saw someone cleaning a room (and saw no replacement sheets or towels) and a middle-aged, ragged-looking woman approached me and said "Hey! You waiting for check in?" I gulped. I decided I could not stay there. It was dirty, loud, a motel, and obviously not well-run. The kicker was when I asked if I could put my 1 bag in a room and she answered, "Yeah, for 20 bucks early check in fee." That did it!!! I was paying too much anyway, and it was disgusting. I walked out and went into the rental car, where I called AARP Travel (yeah, I'm a member and I'm glad I got their insurance).
  THE SPIRIT ASSISTANCE PART- The AARP Travel agent was awesome. But she asked what hotels I would like to check into. I then heard my mom's spirit say "Get the book we had you pick up!"  I did. I went through the book and the agent patiently called 7 hotels and found 2 with availability. I happily booked into the Hampton Inn on Davis Road. Awesome, clean, quiet, wonderful place. Thanks, mom and dad for the major assist!
 (BTW- AARP travel insurance prevented a cancellation fee).
NEXT: Set up at the Paracon and More Spirit Assistance! 

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy