Saturday, September 28, 2013

Terri Visit #4: Annapolis Ghostly Encounters Part 2: and a Confirmation!

This is the second part of the ghostly encounters I (Rob) had walking through Annapolis. When I got home, I began searching for an image and what I found was astounding and was a confirmation.

Harriet Ridgely
 FEMALE GHOST ON MAIN STREET- When we were walking down the main street, we neared a bank in the middle of the street between the State House and the docks. That's when I sensed and "saw" a woman walking by me on the sidewalk with a bonnet and a gray-colored dress. I knew she lived around the time of the early 1800s as she walked past me.
CONFIRMATION: When I was writing this blog to try and figure out who it was, she apparently helped me. Here's why: I put in the Google search engine: "1800s woman annapolis, md."
  The first page of Google brought up about 30 photos, paintings and drawings under "IMAGES." I searched through them looking for the best likeness of the ghostly woman I saw. Most of them were too matronly looking, and were paintings of rich women posing on chairs. That's when I came to one that looked very much like the ghostly woman I saw!  
   Here's the Proof: when I went to save the image, it took me to the page where it resided, and HERE IS THE DESCRIPTION FOR THE PHOTO: "Harriet Callahan, ( her married name is Mrs. John Ridgely) of the Hammond Harwood House, Annapolis, Maryland. [Painting by] 1790 James Peale (1749-1831).
     
   The Hammond Harwood House is very close to where we were walking. This ghost was "Harriet Callahan (Ridgely)!" This is how ghosts and spirits work. They provide the clues to identify themselves and you have to put it together. This one was pretty amazing to me, because I didn't think I'd ever figure out who she was. Wow.
Hammond Harwood House Sign
  THE HAMMOND HARWOOD HOUSE - Hammond-Harwood House is located on the corner of Maryland Ave.at King George Street, Annapolis, Maryland 21401. This brick mansion was designed by architect William Buckland for Mathias Hammond, a lawyer and planter. The 18th century house is now a museum. Buckland died in December of 1774, but the construction went on for several more years. Oddly, Hammond never lived in the house.

Ghost had same uniform




THE SECOND GHOST- The next ghost walking the streets of Annapolis that I bumped into right after Harriet was a lot more difficult to pinpoint, because it was an Admiral in the U.S. Navy in the 1950s, around 1952. He was in full white-dress summer uniform and was wearing a hat when he "walked" past me.  Of course, the Naval Academy in right there in Annapolis so it makes perfect sense that a dedicated Admiral would be staying around as an Earth-bound ghost. I couldn't find a decent photo on-line of a Navy man from the 1950s, so I'm re-using and focusing on one of the three Navy guys that I took a picture of during Terri's visit. Of course, looking at the picture, you could guess why I didn't spend a lot of time scouring the Internet for a photo of a 1950s Naval officer. This one is just as good to look at. :)



Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy