Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Dog Rescue Story: Susan and Cary's "Murphy"

 Our friends Susan and Cary are dog lovers like we are, but they have Shelties!  They work with the Northern Chesapeake Sheltie Rescue - http://www.ncsr-md.org/, and participate in a lot of the fund raising events. We've been to a couple of them, and think this is another great rescue to support. 
L to R: Zoey, Murphy, Bentley Cr: Susan Hendrix
  In the winter newsletter, Susan wrote a story about how they came to adopt their latest family member, a Sheltie named "Murphy" and we thought we'd share it with you.



Murphy - Our Little ChubbaWubba
by: Susan Hendrix

December 2010 was cold and bleak. My husband and I had just put our third Sheltie Sassafras down that October due to CHF. I guess I could have been content with Zoey and Bentley, our other two Shelties, but something nagged at me. I just knew there was room in our home and hearts for one more.
I searched the Northern Virginia Sheltie Rescue site. Nothing. Then turned to the NCSR site and fell instantly in love with a sweet little guy named Lad who had been turned in by a breeder along with his father and step brother. I knew he'd be a perfect addition to our family, but before I could submit an adoption application I had to convince my husband to add a third furry member. We still ached from losing our beloved Sassafras and had two other dogs to tend to. What would we gain from adding one more?
I decided to take a chance and sent my husband an e-mail with a link to Lad's picture and bio. He surprised me by saying "give them a call to see if he's still available." Without hesitation I was on the phone with the coordinator Linda. We submitted our application and waited patiently for a decision. NCSR didn't require a house visit because we had passed one just prior to adopting Bentley. Linda asked me "do you really want to take on another Sheltie?" and for an instant I thought she would pass us by.
When the call came from Linda that we could adopt Lad, my heart skipped a beat. We were both excited and a bit nervous at the same time. Would Lad get along with Bentley and Zoey? Would they accept him into their "pack?"
I remember being amazed at how small he was. His photo on the Website made him look bigger. He had a beautiful thick coat that appeared a bit matted and one lower tooth that stuck almost straight out of his mouth. I saw past all that and into his big brown eyes and from that instant felt as though I had known him forever.
We introduced him to Bentley and Zoey outside on neutral turf and when everyone got through with introductions brought him into the house. He seemed to know from the very start that this was his new "forever" home - a place where he would be safe and loved. And along with his new life came a brand new name - Murphy - to which he responded to rather quickly.
It's been a year since we adopted Murphy. During this time he's had a dental cleaning and two teeth pulled. His coat has really shaped up with several home and professional grooming sessions and he's learned a few new tricks. He's a spoiled little guy who sleeps on our bed, keeps us company at night while we watch TV, and runs like the Dickens after a ball or a squirrel in our fenced back yard. Zoey and Murphy tussle and play fight and all three get along beautifully.
Is he perfect? No. Did he come with some baggage? Yes. He's a bit fearful of strangers and other dogs probably due to not being socialized properly in his younger days. We are working with a trainer who's helping us reprogram the way he sees the world. It may take weeks or months before Murphy is comfortable in unfamiliar situations and we'll be there for him every step of the way.

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy