Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tom learns to leave Rob at Home During Public Art Meetings

Tonight we went to Bowie City Hall to attend a public meeting on two pieces of proposed artwork for the new City Hall.
Here's a summary from the press release: The Bowie community is invited to a Public Art Community Meeting on Wednesday, 18, at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall to meet the artist finalists for two public art pieces planned for the new City Hall. Three of the finalists are competing to design and build a monumental SUNDIAL that will be located in the front of the new City Hall building, the other three finalists are competing to design and build a MOBILE that will hang in the rear of the lobby.
I (Rob) didn't have that much interest in going, but Tom, being the architect, was extremely interested, so we went. When they told me I couldn't bring my Dunkin' Donuts coffee inside (no food or drink allowed), I already wanted to go home! Anyway, we listened to 6 artists introduce themselves, and saw 3 pieces of work from each of them (on a slide show). The floor was then opened to citizens for suggestions and comments, and what they think represents the city. Some people mentioned horses (the Belair Mansion had a stable that raised them), railroads, etc.
The entire meeting (about 1 1/2 hours was recorded for local cable TV). Tom provided suggestions to make designs that are community driven. I suggested for the sundial to represent the town as the center between Annapolis at 3pm, Washington, DC as 9pm, and Baltimore as 12pm. (6 pm is up for grabs).
When they asked for suggestions for colors on the mobile, one city employee said "I want something calming like earth tones." I told Tom if she wants something calming, she should try a Vicodin. :) Then I got the microphone and I said out loud, "I agree with one of the women before, who mentioned using bright colors, not boring Earth tones like brown and green." Tom visibly cringed because I outright shot down another woman's suggestion (ON CABLE TV!). I then suggested fall colors to represent all the trees AND symbolize diversity in the town. (People mentioned the trees and diversity often).
After the meeting, I apologized to the woman for calling "brown and green boring" but explained that 72% of all men are color-blind with greens, greys, browns and reds, so those colors often look alike to men. Only about 5-10% of women are color blind (look it up!). So, I told her those colors would be lost on most men.
Of course, local cable TV will show the meeting over and over again, so Tom gets to cringe many times. I guess he'll think twice before he takes me to another public meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy