Tuesday, October 6, 2009

NY Times Article and my letter: Exploring the Benefit of Pets

Below is my short letter to the NY Times about an article called "Exploring the Benefit of Pets." - What's interesting is there's an autistic boy in the family who adopted a dog, and I read a GREAT book about how animals communicate...which is just like autistic people. Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/health/06pets.html?emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

Here's my letter:
Dear Carla- I really enjoyed your article on "Exploring the Benefit of Pets." I found it interesting that your article featured a dog with an autistic boy, because author Temple Gradin wrote two great books(one called "Animals in Translation") about how dogs communicate with people similar to the way autistic children do. In fact, I learned so much from that book that I am able to figure out why our dogs behave the way they do in certain situations. I would recommend it for dog owners and for parents of autistic children. It's no surprise to me that the autistic boy in the article connects well to the dog they adopted- they communicate in similar manner. Here's a link to the author's website for the book: http://www.grandin.com/inc/animals.in.translation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy