Monday, August 17, 2009

Missing any Big Events?

On Monday, WPOC-FM was asking if you as a parent, or if your parents ever missed a big event for a member of the family. I'd be curious to hear if you've experienced that.
- My mom and dad didn't fly out to my graduation in Kentucky in 1997 (it was my 3rd degree- the one in meteorology) because my mom is afraid to fly. The compromise was that my younger brother was getting his Master's degree in a couple of weeks after, so I flew to Boston to celebrate both events with the family. If it wasn't for my friends Kerry and Ryun in Kentucky, it would have been a pretty empty celebration. Ryun and his family invited me to dinner (he graduated with me); and Kerry decorated the inside of the house where I was renting a room.
- Recently, my mother didn't go to our wedding either. Flying wasn't the issue, as my brother arranged to drive her. Why she didn't go- it's still a mystery as she loves Tom and I. Perhaps because she's in her early 80s she didn't want to drive 6 hours round trip? I'll never know- but again, there was an empty space there. I know that if my Dad were still alive, he would've been there and brought my mother, too.
Unfortunately, I'll always remember those missed events, but it's just in a disappointment sense.
HAVE YOU MISSED ANY BIG EVENT FOR SOMEONE IN THE FAMILY? I'm curious to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy