Thursday, October 2, 2008

Visiting Beverlee / What is Portable Kitty Litter?

Last night after dinner, I drove to downtown Baltimore to visit my friend Beverlee, who is 85 and lives in an apartment building for retired folks. Beverlee is pretty frail, about 80 pounds, standing about 4'11" and has lung disease (she's a lung cancer survivor), so she's on oxygen all the time. I try and visit Bev about once every week or two weeks (it takes about 1+ hour to get there from home) on a weeknight. She usually has company on the weekends.
Beverlee has a cat named Stitch. Although her doctors said "no cat, no kitty litter" - because kitty litter makes breathing more difficult, she loves her cat (understandably so). Beverlee is home bound pretty much, and can't even take the elevator to her lobby to get her mail every day, so it's a pretty lonely life except for visitors. We agree that it's a tough life. Her husband passed away when she was in her 40s, so she's been on her own a long time. She's a firecracker, though. She's got all her wits about her, and really knows people. So it's always entertaining to visit her.
Lately, Bev has been asking me to get "disposable kitty litter trays filled with kitty litter." I bought 10 at Petsmart and brought them, and together they weigh about 20-25 pounds. Kitty litter is heavy! Anyway, she likes it better than scooping a litter box, because Bev is legally blind, and can't see to scoop. She can see a little with the use of a tabletop machine that magnifies words about 50 times. - So, last night I brought her the 25 pounds of "mobile kitty litter" with some Dunkin' Donuts coffee (as I usually do). Nothing like coffee and conversation and she's a hoot!
(Tom stayed home with the dogs, as he has severe allergies to cats and can't even breathe around 'em. Luckily for me, I'm chock full of allergy medicine every day of the week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy