Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tough Weekend

It was a tough weekend. In fact, it was so stressful, I had headaches that withstood 4 tylenol (spaced accordingly by directions), stomach issues, and was emotionally and physically exhausted. I flew to Massachusetts to visit my widowed mother, and help her get the house cleared of some things since my dad passed. She's an emotional wreck. Up, down, depressed, angry, sad and changes her mind minute-by-minute. On top of it, she's been losing her memory over the last couple of years, so she gets angry when you do something she asked you to do before. I understand the loss of her husband (of 53 years), but the anger thing needs counseling.
I'm not someone that really ever yells (unless it's over politics at the television), but although I promised I wouldn't, I did it each day after being yelled at - I simply despise arguments and was prompted into them over and over. I won't go any further. Just know that if you have to deal with an elderly mom, and you love her very much, and she's angry and forgetful, it's not easy. For me to come home physically sick and emotionally/mentally exhausted, that's a tough weekend.
The only bright spots were two. One, my taking her on a Mystery Ride to Portland, Maine, where we met our friend Jeff and Mom and Dad Feldhaus for lunch. After, Jeff, my mom and I walked through the "Old Port" part of town, which was actually a really nice time. Two, Jeff came back to Mass. with my mother and I that night and we visited my brother Doug, wife Sue and my 2 nephews the next morning for a couple of hours.
TOM and the doggies got to stay home in the peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy