Sunday, October 5, 2008

Saturday a Dogged Downer Turns Upward


Yesterday, Saturday, Oct. 4th I went to the 2nd of 3 doggy costume events planned for the month of October... and like last week's (which was cancelled and not rescheduled) this one didn't go well either.
Tom decided not to go because there was too many chores around the house to do (there were, but these events are what I wait all year for, as Halloween is my favorite time of year). Also, Jeff, Douglas, JC, Todd and Erica all cancelled for various (and good reasons), so I was on my own with Dolly and Franklin. It took 1 hour to get there. It was in Hunt Valley (north of Baltimore) and we're near Annapolis, but the drive was fine, singing to Alan Jackson with the dogs in the truck. :)
The Dogfest event was huge. It was spread out over about 5 farm-sized areas. Parking was a mess, run by teens on their cell phones, directing and misdirecting people all over. One teen attendant sent me in the opposite direction of where the entrance was (it wasn't obvious, and everything was over rolling hills).
The costume event wasn't marked, and was down over 2 rolling hills. We got there 15 minutes before it, and it took 10 minutes to walk to the entrance of the event, then walk 1/4 mile up a dirt road to the vendor's tents - which were nowhere NEAR the costume event. That was too far to get to, and I had the dogs' costumes in the truck back 1/4 mile away in the lot. So, I gave up on it. We DID walk around and enjoyed looking at all the stuff from the vendors and I bought various treats. It was fun for the "kids" so there was a lot of butt-sniffing going on. :)
I was totally surprised when my friend Steve C. called my name! He drove up from Baltimore (Jane was home sick). Steve made my day. He had been there 30 minutes looking for me and the dogs. WOW. We decided to leave and went to Panera Bread nearby and had a snack outside at a table. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. 71F and blue sky and sunshine. Dolly and Franklin were perfectly behaved and greeted everyone walking by. Afterward, Steve left to go shopping in the mall where Panera was, and I headed home.
I stopped and visited friends Tood, Erica and their weimaraner, Beamer in Ellicott City, and we visited for a short time, watching all the dogs run around in their backyard and enjoying the sunshine. They, too, saved my day of "a dogged downer" - having costumes and not getting to show them off (I MADE 'em, which was why it was frustrating). Anyway, Erica is pregnant and has a head cold, but of course, can't take anything for it. I recommend chocolate. :)
Upon returning home, Tom and I went out to dinner, and I proceeded to get sick on whatever we ate. At least Tom got lots of gardening and stuff done (although he strained his back again doing it). Interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy