Thursday, August 9, 2018

Spain Blog #53: Seville: Climb to the Top of a Tower, and a Ghost!

Bells at the top of the Tower! 
In today's blog, you'll climb to the top of the tower in the Cathedral of Seville, where I (Rob) met a ghost with a tragic end. Every time we go on vacation, Tom likes to go to the highest point to take in the view (I admire that, but my asthma doesn't). You'll learn Fun Facts about the Cathedral and see the largest altarpiece in the World!! Anyway, come along and learn about the Cathedral, the Tower and the GHOST!


FUN FACTS ABOUT THE SEVILLE CATHEDRAL
1) The Seville Cathedral is one of the famous Roman Catholic cathedrals in Spain.  
Largest altarpiece in the world! 
2) Seville Cathedral is the third-largest church in the world as well as the largest Gothic church.  

3) Seville Cathedral has 15 doors on its four facades and each one features a unique relief or carving.
4) Built on the site of the great 12th-century Almohad mosque, Seville’s cathedral was built to demonstrate the city’s power and wealth.
5) The cathedral’s construction lasted over a century, from 1401 to 1506.
6) The total area of the Cathedral is at 11,520 square meters (124,000 square feet).

LARGEST ALTARPIECE IN THE WORLD 
The Cathedral's Gothic altar piece was the life’s work of a single craftsman, Fleming Pieter Dancart. Composed of 45 carved scenes from the life of Christ, it is carved in wood and covered with staggering amounts of gold. It is the largest and richest altarpiece in the world.


SEVILLE CATHEDRAL'S AMAZING TALL GIRALDA BELL TOWER 
View from the top of the bell tower
Originally built as a minaret between 1184 and 1198 during the Moorish period, with a Renaissance style top subsequently added by Spanish conquistadors in 16th century. At the top is the 16th century El Giraldillo weather vane, an enormous bronze statue of a female figure bearing a cross to symbolize Faith. The tower is 104.1 m (341.5 ft) in height and remains one of the most important symbols of the city, as it has been since medieval times.

2nd view of Seville from the Bell Tower
CLIMBING THE TOWER - What was fascinating is that this tower didn't have stairs, it was entirely concrete ramps! Still since it was so high, I assume it was about 18 plus stories high, it was still an asthma challenge for me. We made the climb with our friend Scott and enjoyed the view!

Bell Tower where the Ghost is!
Old clockworks in the tower
GHOST IN THE TOWER! - Since I (Rob) was a kid I've been able to sense ghosts and spirits,and there was a ghost in the Bell Tower. 36 landings up, I encountered a ghost. He was at the top of the tower, and it was a man. He told me that he was in his 40s when he jumped to his death from the top of the tower. He said he was broke and destitute. He actually made my legs shake and I felt fear, was choked up to tears and felt his deep regret for taking his own life. It was quite emotional. I heard "No esperanza!" - That's Spanish for  "No hope." He also gave me two male names, and one was his, but the other belonged to someone he wanted a to give a message. The names were "Jaime" and "Rodrigo." - Jaime means "James" in English. He also told me that he believed God would care for his family, and the last clue he gave me to his identity was the year 1673. I assume that was the year that he jumped from the tower.  We left the top of the tower and my legs stopped shaking after I got down a couple of floors. I didn't expect to meet someone with such a tragic story at the top of the tower. 

NEXT: ALCAZAR PALACE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy