Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Oddities of Being in the Public Eye

   Because I've (Rob) written three books (about the paranormal), and have facebook and twitter pages, people from all
over the world connect to me and can write me.
   For the most part, I love getting questions. However recently someone I didn't know wrote and asked for money. Someone I didn't know. When I wrote back and suggested that the person approach family and friends for money to help with their business, I received a "blocked" notice. So, I let it go.
  Then I received an apology of sorts and a plea to travel there to assist with a family matter. It's just strange what some would ask of complete strangers. Anyone that knows me, knows that I would help people any way I can. However, this was too strange.
   I didn't respond to the apology and second request in several hours because I was running errands and then found a somewhat hostile note saying "I will forever ban you and disconnect from you."  Whew. I really feel for this person who is experiencing emotional trauma and wanted to provide encouragement, but the swings of mood from "thanks" to "you will be forever blocked" are disconcerting. So, I've had to block the person, hoping that they heed my advice and seek support and help locally.
  We may have good intentions with trying to help people, but we also need to be careful. That's a lesson I learned again this week. 

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy