Saturday, May 24, 2014

Computer Woes and Customer Service Adventures: PART 1

Thursday was a challenging day for me (Rob). On Wednesday I attempted to clean off some virus
I was almost to this point!!!!
from my computer that was infecting files. My Virus protection (Symantec) suddenly wasn't working and the "firewall" was not updating. In fact, it said it couldn't be fixed. SIGH.
UH-OH!!  -    So, when I went to remove what I thought were infected programs (or fake programs) I accidentally removed the wireless program to my modem!  OH NO!!!  I learned about it first thing Thursday morning when I tried to access email to telework. Fortunately, I had my office computer, too, so I used that.
  EXPENSE OF COMPUTER FIXES -    I called Comcast (our service provider) because when I put the disk in to reload the program to connect the wireless, it wouldn't run. They said "sorry, can't help you, but we can transfer you to a computer service that will charge you $129.00 to talk about it over the phone." Arrggh!!! So, no internet, no virus protection, and $129.00. I said "NO." - I called a local Geek computer place and they said $100.00 for the first 30 minutes and $25.00 each additional 15 minutes. I said "NO."
RESET TO PREVIOUS TIME - So, after about an hour I managed to find a "reset to previous date" and got the wireless program back! (I couldn't figure out where in the world to find that button!!) WHEW.  One issue fixed.

NEXT: WHEN VIRUS PROTECTION GETS A VIRUS
 

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy