Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Victim of Pay Pal Thievery

Yesterday I got a very horrifying surprise. I received an email from Paypal that said there's a $400 charge against my account that would be debited to my bank account. The email was genuine but I had no idea what the charge was for. Oddly enough, there was another charge for $240 that happened at 11:40pm the night before that I didn't authorize. They were from HACKERS.
The first one is from someone in Idaho. The second one is from someone in Mountain View, California. I immediately called Paypal, and they said that the one that went through at 11:40pm ET the night before was "gone" for $240, so that money is lost and removed from my bank account. I filed an "investigation" with them, and hope to recover the money. In addition, the $400 charge that was put on yesterday morning around 5 a.m. ET, didn't seem to go through yet, but PayPal said it would, and that would also be debited from my BANK account. That's also now under investigation.
I changed my passwords immediately, and once these are resolved, I'm closing the Pay Pal account. Turns out once a hacker figures out your password, they can drain your account if you're not paying attention to your emails from pay pal. In fact, if you're away on a cruise for 10 days, for instance, you could have ZERO in your bank account. SO- I recommend closing your Pay Pal account. This is financially dangerous. Just buy things on-line with a credit card. PERIOD.
I also called my bank and put stop payments on both $240 and $400 pay pal charges, and all future pay pal charges. That was at $20 a stop payment. SO, either way, because of hackers and evil people, I'm out money this holiday season. I can't believe people would be so evil. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy