Monday, April 6, 2009

The Value of Life Afterward: Missing Beverlee


I received a call back tonight from our friend Beverlee's niece (who lives in another state), after waiting to hear about the services for Bev since she passed away a week ago. Bev's neice said that Bev wanted no services at the gravesite, no funeral, no wake, etc. So, her neice and her husband and two other relatives were at the gravesite as they buried Bev's ashes this past weekend.
That really struck me. I pictured a clergy person with only 4 people in a cemetery saying goodbye to a woman who brought laughter and sunshine (and some adventures) into my life. But, I wasn't allowed to be a part of it. It left me feeling very sad. I wanted a chance to say goodbye. I feel cheated of that.
Bev's neice did say that she and her husband will arrange a memorial mass for Bev sometime in late April or May at her church and will let me know when.
After hearing the message, I called the retirement apartment complex where Bev lived, and Richard answered the phone at the front desk. Richard is a resident there, and he's been greeting me (and our dog Dolly) for years, whenever we'd go visit Beverlee. He knew of her passing, and it just choked me up to hear his voice. I told him that when I'm in the area, I'll stop by and see him. It's amazing how people that you just know to say hello and greet from time to time can also be really missed.
Today, it really hit me hard how much I miss Beverlee. I know she knows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy