Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fallen Soldiers Returning Home - On the News Last Night

Tom and I were watching the news last night, and for the first time since 1990, we saw military men quietly remove the casket of a fallen soldier from an airplane that landed back on U.S. soil (from Iraq). The first person the Army asked if they wanted the small, quiet tribute of the removal of the fallen soldier said, "yes, please show the country" the sacrifice. It made the loss of life from war more real. It made it more realistic for me, personally. After all, it's mostly during funerals that people are overcome with the emotion of loss. Maybe its because we just lost our friend Beverlee, and I didn't get to pay my last respects to her physical self. I don't know. Regardless, I cried while watching the video of that fallen soldier on ABC News. It was a beautiful and silent event.
One song that Dolly Parton did about what families of soldiers face back here on the home front was "Welcome Home." It talks about soldiers that do and don't make it back home. This song and video touched me, too, and given what we just saw on the news, I thought it appropriate to post here. Hope you find it worthwhile, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy