Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Spain Trip #42: Granada: Simple Pleasures

Tom at the bakery 
In today's Spain Trip blog, we're taking the time to highlight some simple pleasures. No matter where you go, it's the little things that can mean a lot. Such is the case here, in our trip to Granada. So, this blog will show you three simple pleasures.


Rob at a Granada Dunkin
Simple Pleasure #1: A Great Bakery - Panerillo Bolleria "La Romanella." - That's the name of a bakery where we found Tom some salty bread sticks. After a minor language problem, we were able to get something salty instead of sweet (spanish word is "dulce.") because I couldn't remember the Spanish word for salt, which is simply "sal." (could it be any easier??). 

Simple Pleasure #2: Dunkin Donuts Coffee - Of course, if I'm on a trip anywhere in the world, if there's a Dunkin' Donuts, I'll hunt it down and find it. I live for their coffee. Sure enough, we found 2 of Granada's Dunkin' Donuts, so at 3:30 p.m. on a sunny afternoon in May we enjoyed coffee and Tom's iced tea in one of them. In fact, I was so elated, that I even had a Boston Cream donut, too!  I was right at home, because there was a local young guy at the next table who was even reading a superhero graphic novel (in Spanish). Yup, I love Granada! 
Dunkin Donuts' selection 


Dunkin tea and coffee
Simple Pleasure #3: Doing Laundry Cheaply During Vacation - We learned that our hotel was charging about 10 or more Euro (about $12)  to launder 1 article of clothing. So, we found out where the Laundromat was located (2 blocks from the hotel), bought some soap and spent 2 hours there doing it. I read a book while waiting and Tom went shopping. We even met a retired woman who was doing her laundry, and although she didn't speak English, we were able to communicate (with my meager Spanish skills) so that she helped us with the machines. 
   So, that was a double simple pleasure: 1) a stranger that helps you 2) having all clean clothes 6 days into your 11 day vacation!  

NEXT: A Great Restaurant and Chatting with British Ex-Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy