Sunday, July 5, 2015

Another Rescue Dog Adopted! Harley Heads Home!

We've been working with dog rescues for about 7 or 7 years, and through an event, on Saturday, May 30th, I (Rob) got to work with a rescue that was trying to place their last couple of dogs, so the rescue manager could retire. On that date I had a table at the MId-Atlantic Doxiefest in Belair, Maryland  to promote my book "Pets and the Afterlife." - It was an outdoor event and fundraiser for Coast-to-Coast Dachshund Rescue. I met a lot of great people and dogs, and dogs looking for forever homes, too.
Author Rob Gutro and Harley- looking for a home

While there, I met Jane, who was volunteering and helping a Fredericksburg, Virginia dog rescue. The rescue is managed by Yolanda McEntire, who is working to get her last few dogs adopted as she is retiring.  

    Jane brought over Harley, a 13 year old, senior black and tan dachshund.  I immediately took to him and really wanted to see him go to a good home. He had been with the rescue for over a year, and Yolanda really wanted to find him the perfect place.So I offered to help.

Harley's close up!
Jane and an adoptable dog

 What I've done with Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue (where Tom and I are members and volunteers) is that I take a short video of the dog, take several photos (and after assessing the dog's behavior and talking with the foster parent) I write a biography. I've learned that many people really, really want to see a video and read a bio about how the dog behaves, his habits, training, health, etc. so I include all of those things. 

   I've now used this format for 5 dogs and all five have been adopted within 2-3 months of making the videos and biographies live. What a wonderful reward to find these dogs homes. 

   Well, on July 4th, we received an email from Yolanda that Harley had indeed found a forever home in West Virginia.  That totally made my July 4th (and the week).
A short video of Harley I made

 



Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy