Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rob's Mom: Part 4: New Year's Eve/Holiday/Mom's Wackiness



This week I've been writing about the events around my mother's severe stroke and passing.  This is the fourth part in the week's events when we worked in a Christmas celebration of sorts on New Year's Eve so that our nephews could open their presents and before the wake and funeral began.



NEW YEAR'S EVE
Our friends Merri, Jerry and sons J.T. and Nick were in constant contact with us during the weekend Mom had a stroke and thereafter, so they knew we were coming to Boston. We didn't tell anyone else (and you shouldn't tell people when you're away either) for security reasons. So, Merri, Jerry and boys asked to meet us for coffee on Dec. 31 nearby, and it was so wonderful to see them and take a break from the events.
Scotty,Sue, Doug, Brian
    During the day we worked on organizing my mom's house and there was a lot to go through. We did manage to get one room in order. We urge you to de-clutter your house now. Give away or toss things you haven't used in a year.
    TRYING TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS

Rob and Tom acting goofy

Because we didn't get to celebrate Christmas this year with Mom and the hospital and we hadn't arrived yet, we had "Christmas" on Dec. 31. Doug and Sue treated us to the traditional Chinese Food, "Christmas eve" dinner at their house, and we opened presents. My nephews loved their gifts and it was a nice, happy break from the reality of my mother's condition. 
Tyler and Scotty


MOM'S WACKINESS- 
the 3 brothers
    New Year's Day marked the day of Mom's wake.  My mom had some wacky ideas about many things, even for her own wake.
   Although my dad was waked at the Lydon Funeral Home in Quincy in 2008 and they did an amazing job and were very considerate and caring to the family, my mom always said she wanted her services at the "place with the lions out front." That was Sweeney Brothers Funeral Home. Mom loved cement lion statues, and Sweeney Brothers had two of them outside their front door. Mom even had a cement lion statue next to one of the fireplaces in her home.
   I guess she attended other services there before, but it didn't matter. Mom loved the cement lions outside the funeral home.  I told my brothers that if we didn't wake her there, she'd tell me about it afterward from the other side, over and over and over again. Regardless, the owner and his sons were just as amazing, patient, kind and wonderful as the Lydon staff were for my dad. They thought of everything and were very caring and considerate, and really helped make the arrangements and decisions easier.
NEXT: THE WAKE
(ONE OF THE THINGS I DID BEFORE LEAVING WAS CREATING THIS VIDEO)

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy