Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rob's Mom: Part 10: Another Funny Story: Mom's Dunkin' Adventure

She left this on the counter!
As my mom aged, she was very aware of how much she spent. She told us that she liked going to Dunkin' Donuts and Panera Bread, so Tom and I sent her gift cards to both throughout the years.
Mom didn't call them gift cards, though. For some reason she called them "tickets." Occasionally, she would tell us that she hasn't gone to Panera Bread because she "didn't have a ticket." So we'd send her a gift card. Of course, because her short term memory was going, she would often put them somewhere and not remember where she put them.
   During one phone conversation I had with mom in October (I called her every day pretty much), she asked for a dinner suggestion. She didn't eat much (like us), so I suggested a Dunkin' Donut egg and turkey sausage sandwich. She liked those, and the bacon and egg sandwiches. The next night I called mom as usual, and she told me she went to Dunkin' Donuts to get her dinner the night before.
Mom: quite the character
  She said, "I ordered a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on a bagel with coffee." When I went to pay for it, I didn't have a ticket, so I walked out."
  I said, "Whaaaat? You walked out?  Didn't you have cash?"  She said she did, but she'd "rather use a ticket." So, of course, we sent her another gift card. We were shaking our heads after I got off the phone with mom and we had a good laugh over it. :)

NEXT: Part 11: Another Funny Story: Mom's Trash / and Sayings

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy