Friday, October 27, 2023

Fun Short Mystery Book: Creature Cozies, edited by Jill Morgan

 Many years ago I found a paperback that collected short mystery stories written by well-known mystery writers, and that involved either dogs or cats. It's called "Creature Cozies" and it's edited by Jill M. Morgan. The book was published in 2005 (so I've had it a while in my box of books). Today's blog will highlight 4 of my favorites, and how the book helped me discover an author I wanted to read more from! 

   I bought it for 2 reasons. One, I love mysteries with dogs and cats, and two, there was a story in it by J.A. Jance, one of my favorite mystery authors - and she did not disappoint. In fact, I think her story, "Highest, Best Use," was a true highlight.  Three other stories stood out. One was my next favorite, "Crystal's Big Night" by Ed Gorman. I wound up buying 2 more of his books after reading this short story- also learned he's passed away. I also enjoyed the quirky, "Edelweiss" by Jane Haddam, and "Lost and Found," by Jan Burke as told from a dog's perspective. All in all, a fun read for any pet parent! 

ABOUT THE BOOK: A clever cast of crime-solving canines and felines highlights an entertaining assortment of eleven mysteries, written by J. A. Jance, Jan Burke, Carole Nelson Douglas, Ed Gorman, Jane Haddam, Jill M. Morgan, Dick Lochte, Marlys Millhiser, Maxine O'Callaghan, Gary Phillips, and Noreen Ayres, accompanied by photographs of the authors and their pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy