Friday, October 13, 2023

Fun at the Granite State Comic Con!

 One of the advantages of moving north to New England is a bunch of comic conventions in the 6 New England states, and several are close enough to drive to. One of them is the Granite State Comic Con in Manchester, New Hampshire which I recently attended. Today's blog has some of the pictures from the event.

(Photo: Rob and Princess Leia and Han Solo of Star Wars Fame at comic con)


(Photo Right: Star Wars Storm Troopers at Comic Con) 




As an avid comic book reader and collector, I love going to comic cons to buy older comics from the 1970s and 1980s. I used to have many of them but when I graduated from college and moved out of the house, I couldn't take them with me, and I was forced to give half of them away to a local comics shop (I decision I have always regretted). Now, I'm buying them back at higher prices. Oh, well. 

(Photo right: Pokemon and other characters at the Granite State Comic Con) 

(Photo right: The Ghost Busters and their inflatable, giant Stay Puff Marshmallow Man from the movie - at the Comic con.) 

One thing I usually do at Comic Cons is dress up as a superhero, but having just moved north the previous month, I wasn't prepared to go hunting for my costumes, so I went as "a civilian." :) But there were some cool costumes there, that included the mysterious 1940s DC comics hero - Dr. Fate; Star Wars' Han Solo and Princess Leia, Ghost Busters, and even Pokemon characters. 

Next year, I'll go in costume. This year, I did have fun seeing the costumes and comic book shopping. Hope you enjoy the pictures!- Rob 

WHO IS DR. FATE? - Since you're reading this, you may as well learn something about a famous comic book superhero. So, here's the background on Dr. Fate! 

(Photo: This comic con attendee had an amazing costume likeness of Dr. Fate!) 

Doctor Fate, also known as Fate is the name of several superheroes appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. The first version was originally created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Howard Sherman, debuting in More Fun Comics #55 (May 1940). His alter ego was Kent Nelson whose wife, Inga, lived with him in a castle tower in Salem, Massachusetts. Fate got his mystic powers from Nabu, a cosmic entity linked to the Lords of Order and Mesopotamian deities.
   Over the decades, several other people have taken up the mantle of Dr. Fate, but  I'll always see him as Kent Nelson from the 1940s.  

Can't wait to go back NEXT YEAR: https://www.granitecon.com/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy