Saturday, January 30, 2021

Good Person/Heroes of the Week: Officers Daniel Hodges, Christina Laury, Michael Fanone Fought Off Capitol Mob

 All of the police officers that fought off the Pro-Trump mob at the Capitol in January are heroes. Officers Daniel Hodges,  Christina Laury and Michael Fanone are just three of them, There is graphic video of the mob trying to crush Daniel's head between a door and door frame. Fortunately, he was able to get out of it, but not before suffering injuries. Officer Fanone was beaten, tased and the mob tried to get his gun and kill him with it. He also had a heart attack.   These officers are heroes.   They stood to protect life and property from an insane, vicious mob intent on hurting, kidnapping and killing.   

  Side Note: The officers said that the mob thought the Police would help them destroy the Capitol and the people within. I think the GOP can no longer say that they support the police- not after inciting this, and killing 2 officers. 

Here's a story from ABC News about these 3 heroes>>

(Photo: Officer Daniel Hodges, Michael Fanone and Christina Laury. Credit: WJLA TV)

OFFICER HODGES

Officer Daniel Hodges, 32, whose platoon had been on duty since 7 a.m., said he feared for his life multiple times that day, including when he was "surrounded" by pro-Trump rioters outside the Capitol building and beaten.

"That was one of the three times that day where I thought: Well, this might be it," Hodges, a patrol officer in the 4th District, told WJLA. "This might be the end for me."

 
Video: https://youtu.be/QVZvp-Dv0gg

Another time, Hodges said, was when their police lines broke on the dais and they had to fall back to the Capitol building.

(Photo: Officer Daniel Hodges, D.C. Police Dept. Credit: DC Police) 

"We were battling, you know, tooth and nail for our lives," he said. "We held the line there in that doorway, and I guess I got pinned through the small back-and-forth we had fighting for, you know, every inch. And I had my arms pinned at that point, I wasn't able to defend myself."

In a now-viral video that was shared on social media, a bloodied Hodges is seen screaming for help as he is being crushed against a metal door frame inside the Capitol building.

Hodges said one rioter ripped off his gas mask and beat him with his own baton, while another tried to gouge his eye.

"At that point, I was also, you know, sucking in OC and CS gas, so I was pretty disabled at that point," he said. "I thought, you know, this might be it, I might die and there's nothing I can do to defend myself at this point. So I just started screaming at the top of my lungs for them to give me a way out, get me a line of retreat. Thankfully someone was able to do that and I was able to extricate myself."


OFFICER LAURY
Officer Christina Laury, 32, who is assigned to the narcotics and special investigations division, said the crowd of rioters was "immediately" aggressive and had already taken over the Capitol grounds when she arrived on scene.

(Photo: Officer Laury. Credit: WJLA TV)

Laury said she also witnessed officers on the front lines of the Capitol building getting beaten with metal poles, in addition to be sprayed with bear mace and other chemical irritants.

"They did everything in their power to not let those people in," she said. "And this was going on for hours."

Laury said she doesn't get scared often but admitted, "That was probably one of the scariest days."

OFFICER FANONE -  Officer Michael Fanone, 40, who is part of the crime suppression team in the 1st District, said he and his partner joined the front lines after relieving some of the fatigued and injured officers, even though he said none of them volunteered to leave. He recalled being tased "half a dozen times" and rioters grabbing gear off his vest, ripping away his badge, taking his ammunition magazines and trying to get a hold of his gun.

"I remember guys chanting, like, 'Kill him with his own gun,'" Fanone, who previously served for the U.S. Capitol Police, told WJLA. "I remember trying to retain it and the thought did cross my mind like, 'OK, people are trying to kill you and I think this has crossed the threshold of you, you know, defending yourself.' I thought about killing people."

He said he told the mob he had kids, and some then shielded him until his partner officer, Jimmy Albright, got him back into the tunnel.

Officer Michael Fanone and his kids (Courtesy photo)

Fanone said he suffered a mild heart attack and was hospitalized for two days. The other officers we spoke to were not hospitalized.

The police said they were amazed that a lot of the rioters seemed to think the police were supposed to be helping them.

"... that they would just walk right up and say 'we're here to arrest Congress.' And then police would say, 'OK let's go' and we'd all walk in, hand-in-hand, and just do whatever they wanted," Hodges said. "But that wasn't the case and it will never be the case."


WATCH ABS7, WASHINGTON DC TV'S INTERVIEWS WITH EACH: https://wjla.com/news/local/i-thought-this-might-be-it-dc-officers-injured-at-the-capitol-tell-their-stories

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy