Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Tribute to my friend Charlie Sill

Charlie in Feb 2018
My longtime friend Charlie Sill passed away last week after a long battle with colon cancer (not virus related). Charlie had been getting chemo since 2017. In today's blog, you'll read about my friendship with him, and his amazing talent. You'll also see that he, as a spirit, helped me through my first live solo internet facebook broadcast.

Charlie and I have known each other about 22 years and worked together at the Weather Channel in the radio broadcast area. When I began working there I immediately befriended Charlie. His smile was infectious, and I loved his laugh. He was always playful and a huge help to me in getting situated. If's funny what you remember from 20 plus years ago.
Charlie in Feb 2020, still at the microphone! 

ABOUT CHARLIE -Charlie married his partner Federico and settled down right there in Georgia (where I met him). He always worked in radio, and was successful at voiceover work, and had one of the smoothest voices on the radio ever. I can still hear his voice now as I write this and think of him.

Charlie was still working right up to the week he passed. He was working as a traffic anchor at iHeart Media, and he owned and managed his own company that also included photography and video.

Charlie setting up a shot with lighting
He started "Blueberry Productions, LLC" in 2018. His page says, "We are a photographic and video production service. The focus of our work is to offer and execute professional food photography and video for non profit organizations as well for businesses. We are available for internet videos, food shoots and every delicious event." You can see some of his amazing photography on that facebook page, here: https://www.facebook.com/bluberryprod/.

He brought so much talent to the world and it was always a brighter place for those who were fortunate enough to know him during his time here, and even more fortunate for those of us who befriended him.

CHARLIE'S SPIRIT STILL GUIDING - 
I learned about his passing via messenger last week, just 10 minutes before my first live facebook live broadcast to announce my new book. Our mutual friend Colleen sent me a note to let me know he had passed on April 2.
Charlie's Photo: Some leftovers can turn into a very tastymeal.
 Credit: Blueberry Productions 
   I was reeling. Charlie has always been optimistic and a fighter. I had 10 minutes before my Facebook Live went on, and it was hard to focus, but I felt Charlie sitting beside me as he did at the Weather Channel, telling me that I need to be my best. So, even in spirit, Charlie was still encouraging me, pushing me to be my best. I dedicated that broadcast to him, and an acquaintance I met 5 days before (a radio show host who interviewed me who passed from a heart attack 3 days after the interview). 

My friend Charlie's spirit is still and will be very much around. His velvet voice and infectious smile will always be with me and those fortunate enough to have known him here on earth.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy