Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Savannah: Part Five: Ghosts: Green-Meldrim House and Ye Olde Pink House


The last two houses that we went to in Savannah had one haunting each that I was able to detect. Of course, I didn't go through one of them entirely. This photo is of the GREEN-MELDRIM HOUSE.
The house was designed by New York architect John Norris and built in 1850 for cotton merchant Charles Green, this Gothic-revival mansion cost $90,000 to build. General Sherman lived here after taking the city in 1864, as he was welcomed by Mr. Green. The house was bought in 1892 by Judge Peter Meldrim, thus "Green-Meldrim." His heirs sold it to St. John's Episcopal Church to use as a parish house.
This house wasn't on the "haunted" list, but when we toured it for its history, I sensed a ghost. It wasn't until we got into the dining room at back of the house, that I got a headache and got nauseous, and sensed a female ghost. I sensed that she didn't want people in HER house. I believe this was the wife of Charles Green.
YE OLDE PINK HOUSE- MAN IN THE HOUSE! -
James Habersham Jr., one of the wealthiest Americans of his time, built this house in 1771. He became a hero during the Revolutionary War and rose to the rank of major in the colonial army. The house was made of red bricks which was plastered over with white plaster. The house appears pink because the red bricks bled through the plaster. The house has chandeliers, antiques, and even original Georgia pine floors in its tavern which is in the back left side of the house. That's where ghosts of young African-American children are known to romp. We didn't go back there, however. Of course, I didn't need to go there to sense a ghost. As soon as we came through the front door and walked up the stairway to the second floor, I sensed a man - whom I believe was Mr. Habersham. I later read that he's been seen on the 2nd floor many times. Once we walked through the long hallway and into a huge room where we dined, I didn't sense him anymore. Turns out, we walked into a new building that was built in the last couple of years and attached to the house to expand the dining area. (PHOTO: Jeff having fun at Ye Olde Pink House) UP NEXT: The Walking Ghost Tour and a creepy face on the outside of a building

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy