Monday, February 16, 2009

Savannah: Part Four: Ghosts On Tours; Sorrell-Weed House

"Ghost on Tours" isn't the name of a tour we took, it was just that these are stories I had of ghosts that I encountered (for the most part) on the Ghost Tour we took, or in the 2 mansions we visited. This is all about the Sorrell-Weed House. Spirits who are believed to haunted the house include a former slave who died at the
house and Francis Sorrell's wife who killed herself by jumping from a second floor balcony. I think there may be one more spirit in there.

The Sorrell-Weed house was one of the two mansions we toured. It's located on 6 West Harris Street in Savannah and was built in 1840 by General Gilbert Moxley Sorrel (youngest general in the confederate army). General Robert E. Lee (1862) and General
William T. Sherman (1864) also visited the home. In 2008, the new owner found a box inside a false ceiling that had authentic first drafts of the original surrender papers signed by General Lee.

THE GHOSTS - There are apparently a couple of them, and this house is known for them, as the Sci Fi Channel show "Ghost Hunters" was filmed there in 2005 and confirmed some entities using scientific equipment. Hosts Jason and Grant declared that the house was indeed haunted. During their investigation they captured an EVP (electronic voice phenomena) of a woman yelling, "Get out, get out........help me, my God, my God." In fact, it is now listed as Savannah's most haunted house.

MY EXPERIENCES: THE HAUNTED WAITING ROOM- Once we got into the house we were led into the front right room until others came in. While we were there, I got the sense that we were joined by a male ghost. My headache started. While Jeff, Gary and Tom were talking amongst themselves, I sensed our ghost had taken a seat in the rear corner of the room. I know it was a man from the 1800s. I wish I could see them all the time, but I can't. I took this photo of the chair where the ghost was sitting, then he moved to the fireplace.

THE HAUNTED BASEMENT - When we started the tour, I was immediately drawn to the basement for some reason. I kept looking at the stairway that led there while the young female tour guide was showing us the first floor of the house. Once we did go downstairs, she told us that it was there in the basement that the "Ghost Hunters" confirmed spirit activity. This is my photo of the basement.
SITE OF A SUICIDE: Francis Sorrell's wife killed herself by jumping from a second floor balcony into this brick patio. When the tour guide took us out there and showed us the spot, I didn't feel the presence of a ghost. Why? Because the ghost is likely haunting inside. Ghosts don't necessarily linger around the spot they died. They go to a place they liked while they were living. Mrs. Sorrell's bedroom was in a 2nd or 3rd story of the house that was closed off to tours, because its still being renovated. I'm sure that that is where she dwells.
NEXT ON THE BLOG: The Pink House, Green-Meldrim House, and Ghost Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy