Monday, August 26, 2024

Fun at the Boston "Wicked Comic-con!"

Boston held its comiccon the weekend of August 10 and 11, and I've been wanting to go for years. Now that I live back in New England it happened! My friend Dave (whom I've known since high school) and I both enjoy comics so we met up in Boston. It was a HUGE comic con!! We were there most of the day. 
(Photo: Rob and Dave outside the Boston Wicked Comic con) 



SWAG - They had tee shirts for $10 and free cloth bags, stickers and a comic con pin, so I got one of each. I have been collecting comics since the 1970s, and lost a LOT of them after moving out of Massachusetts when I was in my 20s, so I'm trying to recollect them. Comic cons are the BEST places to go to find vintage comics.

(Photo: The tee shirt I had to get!) 

COSTUMES -  Normally I got in a costume, but this was my first venture to Boston, so I wanted to feel it out. Dave and I went on the second day, Sunday, so it was the day after the costume event. Next year, I may come in costume. I did run into several costumed people. One guy was dressed as a wolf in a Wolverine Xmen costume. Another guy was dressed in a maid's outfit. There were several Star Wars characters, too. 

(Photo: The guy dressed as a wolf in a Wolverine outfit was really difficult to see in this photo. Credit: R.G.) 

LUNCH WAS SCARCE - We noticed that there were no food vendors, which is odd for a big comic con. The event was held in the Westin Hotel, Boston seaport, and there was one upscale restaurant, and a Starbucks. UGH. Dave got a pastry and I had a protein bar I had packed. Weird. Next year, I'll pack a lunch! :) 


(Photo: Rob and Dave stopped for a lunch break between the many hours of exploring the event!)

GREAT FOR COMIC COLLECTORS - I was looking for comics like Weird Western Tales, Superman, Superman Family, the Rawhide Kid, Weird War, Detective Comics, and Ghosts to name a few. I managed to find some of all of these to help fill in my missing issues. The search continues to the next comic con! 

INTERESTING SELLERS- Some of the sellers were guys like me who have been collecting for decades. They bought a table at the Con, and were selling some of their collection, to buy other things. That gives ME and idea... 




BOSTON SUBWAY MADNESS - It's been decades since I've been on the Boston Subway, so I didn't even know about the "Silver Line."  I parked at Wonderland station (the northernmost station to NH/ME) and took the blue line to the orange line to the red line to the silver line to get to the hotel with the comic con. On the way back I took the Silver to the Blue line, thinking it would save time, but the stops were odd, and I missed mine, so I had to wait for another Silver Line "train/bus" to go all the way back. Now I get it. :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy