Friday, August 2, 2024

Excellent Western Novel! Never Bet Against the Bullet /A Ralph Compton novel by Jackson Lowry

I love western novels, and have always been fascinated with the Old West. In fact, I realized I had a past life experience in Tombstone, Arizona, when I visited and it's part of my book "Ghosts of the Bird Cage Theatre on a Medium's Vacation." (Had to plug it). I also love reading westerns in comic books, like DC Comics' Jonah Hex, and Scalphunter; and Marvel Comics' Rawhide Kid and Two-Gun Kid. I've read Louis Lamour novels, too. But this paperback I stumbled upon, intrigued me. 
   So, I bought: "Never Bet Against the Bullet" - /A Ralph Compton novel by Jackson Lowry. I was absolutely taken in. The characters, the plot twists and turns, even up to the last couple of chapters made for a book I didn't want to stop reading. It was OUTSTANDING. 5 of 5 stars. So, I just ordered 3 more books by Jackson Lowry (he's now writing for Ralph Compton who passed away in 1998). Jackson Lowry is a great author!  Get this book! Rob (Below is the book description)
ABOUT THE BOOK: Ralph Compton Never Bet Against the Bullet (The Sundown Riders Series) by Jackson Lowry (Author), Ralph Compton (Author) Part of: The Sundown Riders Series (27 books) 
 In this thrilling new Ralph Compton Western, the fate of a small town rests in the hands of a gambler who’s ready to risk more than money. The people of Meridian, Colorado, live and die by coal mining, and when the railroad bypasses them, their livelihood is in peril. However, they discover that for a hefty sum of money they can create a spur line and save the town. 

A hefty sum that the town does not have. Their only hope is former gambler Asa Newcombe. 

 The townspeople pool their money so Newcombe can enter the big poker game in Golden Junction, and as much as he wants to leave his past life behind, the whole town is counting on him. Winning the big pot will burnish his reputation, but his goal is simple: Get the money and get out alive. His opponents include wealthy ranchers, tinhorn gamblers, and men who are outright criminals—and many of them will stop at nothing to make their fortune, even if they have to cheat, drug, or kill to do so....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy