Sunday, November 8, 2015

A Batman Book Review: Wayne of Gotham

I (Rob) am a big Batman fan, and try to read all the paperback novels about him. Recently, I finally read a novel that came out in 2002 called "Wayne of Gotham." The novel is by Tracy Hickman.
   Many of the Batman novels I've read have been quite good, however,I didn't enjoy this one. I usually don't write bad reviews, but I had all to do to finish this book. It went back and forth between Batman / Bruce Wayne and his father's ties to the mob and weird experiments to change a criminal's personality to make them stop committing crimes. It also seemed to make Batman someone in his 40s or 50s, but it wasn't ever clear how old Batman was in the book.
   I understand going back and forth in timelines, but I think that if the book started out about his dad, and then moved to the present, it would've been easier to follow. Regardless, it was a tough read for me.  I would give it about 2 1/2 out of 5 stars if I had to rank it. However,  I checked the rankings on Amazon- which were quite good. Perhaps I just didn't care for the way it was framed, but I'm sure that many others will!


Here's someone else's review from Amazon that gave it 5 stars: Tracy Hickman you have taken the Batman legacy and added a completely new chapter to it. The genius of the back story, mystery and intricate detail kept me reading even when I should have been doing something else. I couldn't put it down. I loved the way you included so much of the Batman history that we all know and love.



BOOK SUMMARY:  Behind every mask is a real man.
Two men joined by blood but separated by murder: Thomas, the rebellious doctor and heir to the vast Wayne empire, and Bruce, his son, whose life is forever altered when he witnesses the brutal death of his parents.
The slaying of Thomas and Martha Wayne is the torturous point on which Bruce turns to become the mysterious crusader Batman—the genesis of a simple mugging gone horribly wrong. The Dark Knight's file on the case has long been closed, the foundations of Bruce Wayne's secret life secure. But these foundations are shaken when an unexpected guest invades the grounds of Wayne Manor, raising questions about the event that ended the lives of the mother he loved and the father he worshipped, and sparked his unquenchable drive to protect and avenge.
To discover his true family history, Batman must face down old foes, confront his only confidant, invade the evil heart of Arkham Asylum, and shoulder the terrible new burden of a dark legacy.

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy