Saturday, November 29, 2014

Dolly's Story on her 10th Birthday (and Tyler's 5th birthday): A Special Weimaraner with 2 Famous Names



Dolly and Tyler celebrate today!

Today marks Dolly's and Tyler's birthdays (Dolly turns 10, Tyler turns 5). We know Dolly's actual birthdate, but don't know Tyler's, so because they're bonded we decided to make them the same day. 

A Special Weimaraner with 2 Famous Names
     A newborn puppy and her siblings should never have to experience what Dolly, our Weimarner did. Despite being abandoned, carried away a couple hundred miles, raised in a strange place with her brothers and sisters, she became the world's most loving canine companion.
    I (Rob) adopted our Weimaraner in March 2005 from Wolf Creek Weimaraner Rescue in Tennessee, when she was just 3 months old. She taught me what unconditional love was and prepared me to meet Tom -  the love of my life later that year whom I married in 2009.
The day Rob met Dolly in March 2005 in Tennessee
    Dolly Loretta, originally named Chloe, was born on Nov. 29th, 2004 in a litter of 6 at a breeder's house in Atlanta. When Dolly's mom stepped on a rusty nail and contracted tetanus, the breeder dumped the newborn pups at a shelter. They were a week old. The shelter called Wolf Creek Weimaraner Rescue in Knoxville, Tennessee (the nearest Weimaraner rescue) and Amber (the rescue manager) raced to Atlanta from Knoxville and picked up all six puppies. She and others bottle fed them for many weeks, raising and caring for them until they were 3 months old and old enough to adopt out.
    Timing is everything. On Feb. 22, 2005, I had a Weimaraner puppy named Buzz Wyatt who was killed by a speeding car when his leash opened on a walk. A couple of weeks later, my friend Lynn encouraged me to give that love to another Weimaraner and sent me web links to rescues for the breed. I searched through them and saw "Chloe" as she was called then. I fell in love. My broken heart was about to be mended, although Buzz Wyatt would always be in there, too.
     I filled out the required paperwork on line, did a 1 hour interview on the phone, had a local person do a home visit and I was cleared for adoption. On March 18th, 2005, my friend Jeff accompanied me on a 9 1/2 hour drive to Knoxville for my first in-person meeting with Dolly Loretta. It was sheer joy. I named her Dolly Loretta after my favorite singer, Dolly Parton, and my friend Jeff's favorite singer, Loretta Lynn (as a way to thank uncle Jeff for making the drive for this special occasion).
Napping is good on a birthday
     Dolly is now turning 10 years old. She and I have go through school together, and I've never seen a more loyal, obedient and extremely affectionate canine child. She follows us around the house and always needs to be with someone. She loves our dachshunds Franklin and Tyler, and has bonded like a mother to little 4 year old Tyler. In fact, Tyler keeps her young by playing, eating and sleeping together.
One of our friends calls Dolly a "classy lady," and she really is.
Rob Gutro
  

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy