Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Geography Quiz: Where are the Midway Islands?

One of the cool things about my job is working with satellite data. As a kid, my Dad used to teach my brothers and me about geography at the kitchen table. He would quiz us about the names of the ocean basins, countries, U.S. state capitals and other places. Dad loved geography, so in the spirit of my dad's love of geography, here's a quiz for you and I'll even give you a satellite image.
   On Jan. 18th, NASA's Aqua satellite captured this image of the Midway Islands. I had to wonder how many people know what the Midway Islands are- who are not familiar with military history. The answer below.



 
 
THE ANSWER: 
 The Midway Islands are a 2.4-square-mile toll in the North Pacific Ocean.   Midway is roughly equidistant between North America and Asia, and lies almost halfway around the world from Greenwich, England. It is near the northwestern end of the Hawaiian archipelago, about one-third of the way from Honolulu, Hawaii to Tokyo, Japan. Midway Atoll is an unorganized, unincorporated territory of the United States, and the former home of the Midway Naval Air Station (former ICAO PMDY). For statistical purposes, Midway is grouped as one of the United States Minor Outlying Islands. It is less than 140 nautical miles (259 km; 161 mi) east of the International Date Line, about 2,800 nautical miles (5,200 km; 3,200 mi) west of San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy