Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Tongue Trouble Continues

On occasion (since last week), the center part under of my tongue feels odd, like its almost cramping...or curling the front of my tongue underneath toward the back of my mouth. I can't explain it.
Back in 2004, I had a sudafed-caused half-paralysis. I could always take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) before that without issue. However, one day it paralyzed my right side and put me in the hospital for 4 hours until it wore off. Very scary. Even one side of my tongue was paralyzed. (Pic from the Internet of a weimaraner with a fake tongue) Over the last week, it's been odd moving my tongue from time to time (or at least it feels like it). I've researched it, and found things referencing "Disorders of the 12th cranial nerve (hypoglossal nerve)" cause weakness of the tongue on the affected side. This nerve moves the tongue. INTERESTING. I've gone on to read that it needs an operation to correct (which I'm hoping isn't my case), however, I have to wait until Feb. 5th for an appt. with a neurologist.
What's even more interesting is that the nerve is on the left side of the neck- where I've been experiencing pain lately, too. I think they're connected. I've been going to a chiropractor, because he's noted 4 vertebrae in my neck that aren't as curved as they should be, so I'm undergoing treatment. The pain has been fading in the neck, thanks to the chiropractor, sleeping on a firmer pillow, and muscle pain gel. I'm wondering if the neck strain has affected the hypoglossal nerve. Hopefully, my tongue will work correctly all the time as my neck muscles/vertebrae go back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy