Friday, January 9, 2009

Caring for a Sick Dog - Dolly has a Tough Night


Whoever says that a dog is "just a dog and not a member of the family" obviously doesn't know dogs. Last night, our Weimaraner Dolly woke up at 11pm and nuzzled me (I sleep on the edge of the bed, and the dogs sleep on their bed, which is on my side). I thought she got scared by the wind, as she did during the day yesterday. She went back to sleep and woke me again at midnight. I felt her ears and they were cold. I knew she was sick and she wanted to go out, so I let her out in the backyard. Something she ate apparently didn't agree with her. She came back in in 5 minutes, and went back to her bed. At 1am she woke me up again, and I let her out. Again, she needed to go. After coming back in that time, I grabbed some extra blankets and tossed them on the floor with my pillow. Dolly immediately curled up next to me. I heard her tummy gurgling, but she finally slept peacefully with me holding her. We awoke to Tom's alarm clock at 3:45am as usual (so he could get ready for work).
I let Dolly and Franklin out again, and both came back in quickly (it was 27F outside) and hungry. I felt Dolly's ears, and they were warm as they should be. She had purged whatever was troubling her, and actually ate breakfast. I was so happy to see she was feeling better after a tough night.
I tell you this, because my mom and dad treated me this way when I was young. When I was sick, they would stay with me, no matter what ungodly hour of the morning. THAT is how a dog should be loved. Dolly and Franklin are our children, and they deserve no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy