Tuesday, January 6, 2009

READING: Tim Russert's "Wisdom of Our Fathers"


My brother Doug gave me Tim Russert's book "Wisdom of Our Fathers" for Christmas.
What a perfect gift at Christmas, especially because this was the first Christmas without my dad (who passed Aug. 2, 2008).
The book is a compilation of letters and stories from people around the U.S. that wrote to Tim Russert after reading his book about his father "Big Russ." (Tim passed also in the summer of 2008).
Several of the stories - really choked me up. Like the daughters who painted their elderly dad's toes (as he let them as little girls) before they took him off life-support. That was a tough one to read.
As I mentioned at my Dad's services, one of my favorite stories about Dad was how he'd always take us out for comic books, despite mom's wishes, and he'd tell us to roll them up and put them in our jacket sleeves when we came in the house. Dad always stopped at 7-11 or the variety store/pharmacy "John's" I think it was called near the Regina Russell Tea house in Quincy. I also remember that whenever the family would go for Pizza in Brockton at "Tip Top Cafe" (now closed I'm sure), Dad always remembered that Brookeville News carried comic books, and would always let me run in to check them out.
This book means so much to me, and I will always treasure it. If you had a good dad, or a good step-dad, foster-dad, or dad-like person in your life, it's one to read over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy