Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dolly Likely to Have Major Surgery Next Week


Tuesday, Sept. 9, 8:35 pm EDT
Okay, I'm stunned. It's certainly been the summer for that. I took Dolly to the vet today for yet another urinary tract infection. She's prone to them, and have been getting them every 3-6 months for her entire life. She's had x-rays, etc. before -and the vet always just gave antibiotics to clear them.
Today, I decided to go to a vet closer to the house (here in our town), and not a 1 1/2 hour round trip drive to the vet I've been bringing her to since I adopted her in March 2005.
The vet was very nice, and very knowledgeable. He took blood tests, and urine tests (I brought a sample), and told me that it sounds like a "vaginal stricture." If he expected a gay man to know what that was, of course, I didn't. He explained that the "area" was almost sealed up inside, causing build up of bacteria and continual urinary tract infections. He gave her an exam there in the office and confirmed it. He said in the last couple of weeks, he's seen 3 other dogs with it.
So, we have an appt. with Annapolis Veterinary Hospital next Tuesday for the pre-operative consultation, and on Wed. the 17th for her surgery. I'm a mess.
I checked the definition on-line and found this: "In some cases a stricture is simply there because the female has never been bred and once a tie has been accomplished the stricture is loosened. Very often vets can snip the bands that are causing the stricture with no problem. (Not in Dolly's case I was told, however). A good vet can evaluate the female and either repair the stricture of advise you of the need for a csection. There are people who believe this to be a genetic issue, however it is one that is correctable."
The hospital told me Dolly would have to be hospitalized for 1-3 days, and couldn't exercise or go to daycare for 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, she'll get through the surgery without any problems, and it will prevent any more infections from ever developing. Our baby is in pain every time she gets them. Please keep Dolly in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy