Friday, May 30, 2008

Don't Leave Pets or Kids in Cars on Hot Days!!!

Here's a Letter to the Editor I wrote that was published in this week's Bowie Blade Newspaper:
As a meteorologist, I'm writing to remind residents of the dangers in leaving their dogs (or young children) in a parked car during days warmer than 80 degrees Fahrenheit. On days of 80 degrees or higher, and especially in direct sunlight, it takes 10 to 15 minutes for the heat in a vehicle to reach 140 degrees and kill an animal (or a child) quickly by heatstroke. Just think of how when you open your car doors after being out in the sun for 15 minutes, you get hit with a blast of hot air. Sunday, May 25, here in Bowie, I heard what turned out to be two crying small Maltese dogs in an SUV, parked in the hot sunshine. It was 85 degrees and sunny. The windows were only about 1 inch open on both sides of the vehicle. This is very dangerous to the animals. If they were half opened, it would have been better, but the heat was tremendous and they should have been left at home. Fortunately, I located the woman whose SUV it was in a nearby store (I had an employee announce it). When I spoke to the woman, she gave me an attitude but went outside (either she left or opened the windows wider).
I love our two dogs, but won't bring them in my vehicle on warm days. People also need to remember that dogs have fur and their body temperatures are usually at 102 degrees, so they have a jump on humans with heatstroke. If you love your dogs, leave them in your cool home on hot days.
RELATED ARTICLE FROM THE TENNESSEAN NEWSPAPER ON 5/30/08:
Woman's Day magazine tells you how to keep your furry friend safe all summer long.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/FEATURES01/805300345/1076/NLETTER01&source=nletter-news



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy