Wednesday, March 17, 2021

OUCH! Painful Ulnar Wrist Nerve from Typing - and How I Fixed It

If you've been in the telework mode during the pandemic over the last year as I have, it's easy to develop carpal tunnel symptoms and wrist pain. The trick is keeping your arm straight- in an ergonomically correct position. I tend to drop my elbow, OR have rested my hand on my mouse pad. The resting of the hand and rubbing it adversely affected my nerves in the Ulnar position of my wrist and it felt like it was on FIRE!  -   Then the fiery feeling continued when I wasn't typing and kept me awake at Night when I was trying to sleep. So, I went to the doctor - and he helped.  In today's blog you'll see what I did to help, so you can do it, too.

(Photo: The location of the fiery pain at the top of the Ulnar part of my wrist) 

WHAT HAPPENED?  
  First, Carpal Tunnel syndrome developed.
  Second, the nerves on the top part of the Ulnar (part of the wrist) were very swollen and inflamed.
  Third, it became so inflamed that even a shirt sleeve brushing it made it feel like it was on Fire! 
  
HOW'S HOW WE CORRECTED IT: 
1) MEDICATION TO REDUCE INITIAL SWELLING - He had to give me Prednisone (for 9 days) and that dramatically reduced the swelling
2) STRAIGHTEN ARM - I now make a conscious effort to keep my arm straight while typing (and NOT rest my wrist on the desk)
3) BRACE - At night I wear an arm brace to keep the wrist from moving. This helps a LOT
4) WORKOUT GLOVES- I work out every night. So, the doc recommended New Workout gloves with Wrist Wrap supports. I bought them immediately and they helped.
(Photo: the wrist brace I wear at night that eases the pain)


OTHER THINGS TO DO:
Try these tips:
  1. Adjust how you work or type.
  2. Use ergonomic and padded tools.
  3. Avoid activities that aggravate your symptoms.
  4. Avoid resting your elbow on furniture or armrests. ...
  5. Apply ice to the area.
  6. Wear a wrist brace or splint.
  7. Take OTC pain relievers or anti-inflammatory medications.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy