Saturday, March 6, 2021

Good Person/Hero of the Week: School run mum pulls 91-year-old woman from burning bungalow

 This week's good person/hero is a woman who was walking her son home from school when she noticed a fire in an a home and ran over to see if anyone was inside. She saved a life. Here's the story from BBC News>>>> 



FAMILY PHOTO/BBC
image captionLauren Mottram (right) said she hoped someone would do the same for her

School run mum pulls 91-year-old woman from burning bungalow

BBC News/March 5, 2021

A mother broke away from the school run to pull a 91-year-old woman out of a burning bungalow. Lauren Mottram, 29, was walking with her son on Thursday morning when she spotted flames coming from Muriel Heathcote's home in Blackwell, Derbyshire, England. She ran into the smoke-filled building, found Mrs. Heathcote and pulled her out. Ms. Mottram's bravery won her praise from the fire service and gratitude from the woman's family.  

 "When I got through the door it was just completely full of smoke - it just hit you straight away in your throat and eyes," she said. "I couldn't see her but she was shouting, 'help me, help me', and I managed to get to her. "She was trying to get out of the living room but she couldn't touch her walking frame because it was too hot." After pulling her to safety, Ms. Mottram knocked on the door of the neighboring bungalow in Alfreton Road to alert the woman inside that the fire could spread. 

 "I spoke to the fire brigade manager afterwards. She thanked me and said how brave it was of me to run in," she said. "But it was just natural instinct really. I'd do the same again and hope someone would do it for me if I needed help." 

DERBYSHIRE POLICE
image captionThe bungalow was badly damaged by the fire
Mrs Heathcote was taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation but is due to be discharged later. Her rescuer was also checked over by hospital staff as a precaution. 

Mrs Heathcote's grandson Lee Stuchbury said: "She was willing to put her life at risk to run in and save my Nan. "There's not too many about who would do that nowadays. We're really proud of her." A joint police and fire service investigation into the cause of the fire is under way.

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, or on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy