Saturday, June 13, 2020

Decent Compilation: The Flash of 80 Years (Hardcover)

I recently bought and read the hardcover collection of "The Flash of 80 Years" by DC Comics. This hardcover book contains reprints from the three Flash comic book characters, from Jay Garrick in the 1940s to Wally West in the 1990s, and Barry Allen from the 1960s-80s, who returned to life in the 2000s. You could read it, or better yet, take it out from a Library. Here are my thoughts: 
  I love the Flash character and have since I've been reading comics in the early 1970s, so the Barry Allen Flash stories I enjoyed. I also loved the Jay Garrick stories from the 1940s. But I didn't care for the 1990s Wally West stories. I never cared for the character in the first place, so my opinion of his stories was already tainted. I didn't read the Flash comics post 1986 (when Barry Allen vanished in the Crisis on Infinite Earths) until he re-appeared in the early 2000s. 
   There are also pages written by the writers or illustrators of various time periods they wrote or illustrated the Flash, which were interesting. 
   I really liked the collage of old covers of the Flash comic book run, and they were scattered throughout the book. 
   Bottom line- It's a decent compilation, but one that I wouldn't pick up and read again. It's worth at least one read-through. 

ABOUT THE BOOK FROM AMAZON - CELEBRATE COMICS HISTORY WITH THE 80TH ANNIVERSARY OF FLASH COMICS #1 AND THE DEBUT OF THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE!

Featuring iconic stories selected from eight decades of the Flash: THE CLASSIC FIRST APPEARANCES OF ALL THREE FLASHES-- BARRY ALLEN, JAY GARRICK, AND WALLY WEST MORE THAN 100 PAGES OF NEVER-BEFORE-REPRINTED STORIES INCLUDING A Golden Age Rose and Thorn saga by ROBERT KANIGHER and JOE KUBERT (Flash Comics #89 and #96, 1947, 1948) "Nobody Dies" by WILLIAM MESSNER-LOEBS and GREG LaROCQUE (Flash #54, 1991) "1981--A Flash Odyssey" by CARY BATES and CARMINE INFANTINO (The Flash #300, 1981) and more!

Commentary from former Flash writers, artists, and editors including MARK WAID FRANCIS MANAPUL PAUL KUPPERBERG WILLIAM MESSNER-LOEBS ROY THOMAS DAN DiDIO TODD HELBING...and much more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy