Friday, May 31, 2019

#4 of 5 Albums that Influenced Me: Cliff Richard: I'm No Hero

Earlier this month my friend Bill asked me to post 5 albums that influenced me or changed my life in
some way. Here's #4. It's by Cliff Richard, the English superstar, and it's called "I'm No Hero."
   Unfortunately, people in the U.S. never got to experience Cliff Richard like people in the United Kingdom. Cliff has been singing since the late 1950s and has had more hits than anyone else in the entire U.K. He's still releasing albums in his early 70s and sounds and looks fantastic.
     I fell in love with Cliff's velvety voice when I heard "We Don't Talk Anymore" in 1979. That's all it took. I bought the follow up album, I'm No Hero and loved every single song on it, including the hits "Dreamin" and "A Little in Love." - but the song "Give a Little Bit More" became my favorite, and I remember being so irritated that it stopped at #41 on the Billboard Charts.I thought "What is wrong with radio stations, not playing that?"
   I continue to buy all of his CDs, and think he has the best voice of a male recording artist, as I do in the female category with Dolly Parton. 
FUN FACT -    I had a HUGE poster of this album over my bed (I was 16), and thought then that Cliff was handsome and hot, as he still is!
FUN FACT 2- In 2013, We planned our trip to England around a Cliff Richard Concert in Hampton Court Palace and it was AWESOME!
   Listen to "Dreamin'" below and read more about the album>>>>

 *************************************

ABOUT THE ALBUM: success, generating two top 20 singles, while the album itself made the top five in the UK.
With the lead single "Dreamin'" released in August 1980, the album came out a few weeks later. "Dreamin'" became a top 10 hit in both the UK and US, while follow-up "A Little in Love", released belatedly in January 1981 reached No.15 in the UK and No.17 in the US.[4][5][6] The album itself made No.4 in the UK album charts, but due to the lack of singles, failed to sustain as lengthy a run in the Top 75 as his previous album.[4] The delayed release of the second single was most likely due to the release of "Suddenly", a duet with Olivia Newton-John, which had been featured on the Xanadu soundtrack. This was also a top 20 hit in the UK and US - making this the most successful period for Cliff Richard in the American market.
The album received positive reviews and kept Richard high in the charts during this, his revival period.[7] It was also the last time he would appear in the US top 20. Album track "Give a Little Bit More", which was co-written by Andy Hill, who was about to become famous as writer and producer for Bucks Fizz, was released in some countries as a single, as was "In the Night" - although this wasn't the same as the Barbara Dickson song which was released around the time (and was also produced by Tarney).[8][9] "Give a Little Bit More" gave Richard a third hit from the album in the US, peaking at No.41
VIDEO:https://youtu.be/_thFKjQOZt4

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy