Thursday, May 30, 2019

Book Review: Masie Dobbs

Yesterday I reviewed a paperback about the superhero, the Flash, whom I love, but the book didn't catch me. Today, I'm going to tell you about a multiple award winning mystery series I couldn't get through. However, if you want to read them, I'll mail them to you!


   On vacation, I started reading the British Mystery series called "Masie Dobbs"  by Jacqueline Winspear. (I also have the second novel, "Birds of a Feather" but won't read it).
   Usually I give a novel about 100-120 pages to get into it. I stopped at 120 in this book. I will say that the mystery solved in the first 75 pages or so, was enjoyable. I like the main character, and the mystery was intriguing about a mystery figure buried in a grave and a woman who was visiting the gravesite without telling her husband.
  Then, the novel flashed back to when Masie was a child, and became somewhat tedious to read about her day to day learning, working, living at someone else's house (her dad sent her to a well-to-do family to live and do housework, after Masie's mother died). That part of the story continued for the 50+ pages and I couldn't get into it. -
  I think there was another mystery at the end, but didn't want to continue through the story of a young girl's school years. I think that women may find this more interesting than men, because they could related to Masie's childhood as a young girl trying to get a great education.

BTW- I NEVER leave bad reviews on Amazon.com, because everyone is different. Obviously, this series appealed to a lot of people and won awards. I think that if you like something, tell people why. If you didn't like something, don't post a bad review.
 Like moms always say "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing."

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy