Monday, June 6, 2022

Last Week's AZ Book Signing: A 28-year dream in the making.

Last week, I took a trip to Tombstone, Arizona to sign my latest book called "Ghosts of the Bird Cage Theatre on a Medium's Vacation." The trip was actually a 28-year dream in the making. 



   Back in 1994 I went to Tombstone, AZ to investigate Wyatt Earp whom I became fascinated with. I later visited several other states where he lived and gathered info to write a book about him - but alas, there are already too many. 

(Photo: Billy, Amy and Rob in the lobby of the Bird Cage Theatre. Credit: R.G)

 I visited the Bird Cage Theatre/museum dressed as Wyatt in 1994 and the manager (who still manages it) befriended me.


(Photo:  Rob autographing books in the lobby of the Bird Cage Theatre. Credit: R.G)

   So, once my "super power" of mediumship came to be in 2005, and I returned in 2019 for the ghost tour. It was then I encountered 11 ghosts (all confirmed) and after getting the approval from my friend Billy who manages the Bird Cage, I wrote a book about those experiences. I published the book in Feb 2022 and it hit #1 on Amazon under the category of US Regional Western Travel guides! I was astounded. 

(Photo:  Some of the theatre boxes (also known as cribs) at the Bird Cage Theatre. Credit: R.G)

  Billy and his wife Amy then invited me out for a book signing during the Wyatt Earp Days festival in the town "Too Tough to Die" as it's known. 

(Photo:  The basement area that was used as a gambling den and had rooms for ladies of the evening at the Bird Cage Theatre. This gambling area is famous for the site of the world's longest poker game, running over 8 years continually). Credit: R.G)

 The Experience
I arrived on the afternoon of Saturday, May 28 and stayed to 5pm on May 30th! There were always a steady stream of visitors coming in. 

(Photo:  Friends Eric (right) and Steve (left) drove  from California to Arizona for a vacation and arranged to meet me. Credit: R.G). 

When you enter the lobby of the Bird Cage, there is always an employee dressed in western garb to give you a 5 minute overview of some of the history and then you can take a walking tour.  I was stationed in the lobby and that meant that the "lady of the evening" ghost that I encountered in 2019 in the catwalk above the lobby let me know she was still around.

(Photo: I took this photo of the Bird Cage at sunset on May 28, 2022. Credit: R.G.) 

Friends Visit from California
My friend Eric and his buddy Steve planned a driving vacation from California to Arizona, and timed it around my appearance in Tombstone. So we got to go to dinner and all took the ghost tour! 

More Ghosts
During this ghost tour I encountered 4 of the same ghosts (out of the 11) that I met three years before. I also met a couple of others who were too shy to come out and greet me then.  These other ghosts are also proven/cataloged figures from the 1880s in the Bird Cage!

To buy the book: Ghosts of the Bird Cage Theatre on a Medium's Vacation - click HERE
(Photo:  1994 Photo of Rob as Wyatt Earp (left) with Billy (right) in his cowboy gear, and a lady of the evening (center) at the bar in the lobby of the Bird Cage Theatre. Credit: R.G.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who I am

I'm a simple guy who enjoys the simple things in life, especially our dogs. I volunteer for dog rescues, enjoy exercising, blogging, politics, helping friends and neighbors, participating in ghost investigations, coffee, weather, superheroes, comic books, mystery novels, traveling, 70s and 80s music, classic country music,writing books on ghosts and spirits, cooking simply and keeping in shape. You'll find tidbits of all of these things on this blog and more. EMAIL me at Rgutro@gmail.com - Rob

A Classic Country Music Station to Enjoy